Friday, January 28, 2011

Book Review:Iron Queen By Julie Kagawa


My Name is Meghan Chase
In less than twenty-four hours I'll be seventeen. 
Déjà vu, right? Shocking how quickly time can pass you by, like your standing still. 
I can't believe it's been a year since that day. The day I went into Faery. The day that changed my life forever.

When I first started reading the Iron King, the first book in this series, I thought I've read this before.....great another fairy book about the same mythological characters, Excellent! I mean how original can you be with the same story being retold over again. Yet, reading beyond my initial response,I realized that this story was something different, and special. I found myself unable to stop turning the pages, eager to find out what would be next in the journey for Meghan and her companions Ash, the Winter Prince, Puck, her mischievous best friend and Grimalkin, the forever disappearing cantankerous cat. What I love about the Iron Realm series is that Meghan has levels. She is not a weak female character, but strong in ways that others around her fail to even come close to what makes her great. She is not afraid to be human in world where she is surrounded by soulless fey, who only seek to take advantage of her lack of knowledge of the rules of Faery. As her character develops she becomes more capable of taking care of herself, not content to sit back and watch others die as she cowers to the side.No, Meghan is a fighter, and this character will be one that I'm sure teens can relate to and that hopefully will continue to be more of in future literature to come. Kagawa does an tremendous job of incorporating technology into the world of the Fey and on creating such richly developed characters.

But the beating heart of Nevernever, which I felt all around me in every tree, every leaf and blade of grass, was pulsing with rot. Everything was touched with Iron glamour, and it was slowly eating away the Nevernever,like paper held to a flame.

Summary:In the aftermath of defeating the Iron King, Machina, Meghan and Ash find themselves exiled to the mortal world never again to return to Faery. As they journey to Meghan's home, dreams of a happy future with Ash become shattered when on the doorstep of her parents home, the Iron Fey wait to take her back to the false king. In a tale that will have you flipping the pages for more, we follow Meghan back into the Faery Realm, as she may be the only hope to saving Nevernever from the destruction caused by the false king. Meghan now saddled with powers of the Iron and the Summer courts, which she is unable to master without the magic of one fighting against the other. With so much to lose, can Meghan learn to wield her power in time to save Nevernever?

My Recommendation: I would give this book to anyone interested in fantasy, paranormal, or magical worlds. This a book that will appeal to teens ages 14-18, who are embarking on the journey to finding their own strength and adults that are into young adult literature.
My Rating: 4 out 5 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...