Sunday, January 13, 2013

Everyday by David Levithan



Author: David Levithan
Title: Every Day
Publication: August 28, 2012
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers
Source: Library


Every day a different body. Every day a different life. Every day in love with the same girl.There’s never any warning about where it will be or who it will be. A has made peace with that, even established guidelines by which to live: Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere.
It’s all fine until the morning that A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets Justin’s girlfriend, Rhiannon. From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply. Because finally A has found someone he wants to be with—day in, day out, day after day.

Thoughts: This book was suggested to me by my fellow co-workers at the library, who raved about the greatness of this book. I was intrigued by a book that had them enthralled, so I decided to check it out and devoured it. Now, the concept of a person waking up as a different person each day is interesting but I found myself identifying with the character as he, though A is neither male or female. Each day A gets to be someone new, careful to stick to a particular set of guidelines that insure little interruption in the body that "he" inhabits for that moment. All that changes when A meets Rhiannon, a girl whose very soul speaks to A causing all caution to be thrown out the door. So, every shift after, A finds a way to get to her but things begin to unravel as one day A slips up and someone remembers the possession and is determined to stop A. As A gets closer to Rhiannon, A may have to come to the realization that things may never be able to work out for them. 
The characters are well developed and engaging.  I loved the interactions between A and Rhiannon, especially with the uncertainty of A’s appearance from day to day. The ending left me with many questions and wanting to know more about A. Overall, the writing and plot moved along quickly. This is a good read that will make many people think about human nature and love. 

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I have seen many on this book. I actually have a copy, but have not had the chance to read it yet. It sounds like I need to move it up my list. :)
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember you talking about this book. I was unsure how it would work out, but your review makes the plot of the book make sense. I will have to check this one out too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...